KENNEL MANAGER / TRAINER’S ASSISTANT
The Pacific Assistance Dogs Society (PADS) is changing lives, one dog at a time. We are dedicated to breeding, raising, training and placing assistance dogs for persons with a physical disability or who are deaf or hard-of-hearing, and to supporting these client and dog teams for the working life of the assistance dogs. PADS is based in the Metro Vancouver region of British Columbia, Canada. Our team of employees, Board members, and volunteers is passionate about giving persons a “new leash on life” with assistance dogs who will help to give clients greater independence and a better quality of life.
In our work, we aim to uphold standards of Assistance Dogs International (ADI): to share its “common goals and interests which are best achieved by uniformly complying with local, provincial and federal laws as well as ethical, moral and legal policies, practices and procedures.”
The Kennel Manager / Trainer’s Assistant cares for puppies and dogs in training and the areas they use at PADS’ facilities. This role reports to the Training Program Manager and supervises volunteers who support PADS kennel activities.
The Kennel Manager / Trainer’s Assistant handles these responsibilities for the Society:
- Maintaining safe and sanitary conditions in kennels, training spaces, and exercise yards.
- Ordering kennel equipment and supplies, including dog food orders.
- Providing routine care and grooming of PADS’ canines, including periodic checks for illness, injury or abnormalities, and nail trimmings, ear cleanings and other basic treatments. Scheduling and transporting canines for veterinary appointments.
- Conducting basic assistance dog training to reinforce behaviours taught by PADS Instructors.
- Under the guidance of the Training Program Manager, participating in teaching volunteers who support the care and training of canines at PADS.
- Actively participating in the maintenance of up-to-date, accurate and complete records regarding care and training of PADS canines;
- Complying with PADS’ procedures in order to meet ADI minimum standards and ethics for training and care of assistance dogs;
- Maintaining current knowledge of legal requirements regarding canines, as well as of assistance dog programs;
- In public encounters, familiarizing the public about Assistance Dogs and the legal rights of people with disabilities who are partnered with them; and demonstrating appropriate behaviour in working with dogs and volunteers (e.g., good personal and canine hygiene, courtesy and consideration to others and others’ property, proper training techniques in handling dogs); and
- Performing other related responsibilities.
The PADS Kennel Manager / Trainer’s Assistant shares work space and equipment with other employees at PADS’ facilities. There is daily interaction, and physical contact, with dogs that are in advanced training and puppies residing in the PADS puppy kennel, as well as, exposure to chemicals and other cleaning solutions needed to maintain the PADS kennel.
Some weekend shifts will be required.
- High school graduation is required. Also essential are familiarity and skills with canine behaviour, care and safety.
- Ability to learn and practice assistance dog training techniques.
- Articulate and receptive in communicating, both verbally and in writing.
- Good organizational skills.
- Trustworthy, able to maintain appropriate confidentiality, and having sound judgment.
- Solid record of working positively and productively with others and independently.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. of food products for up to 200 feet and dogs weighing 70 lbs. for up to 10 feet.
- Basic skills in using PCs; the Internet; and MS Word, Excel, and Outlook. Ability to learn new software.
- Valid BC Driver’s License, at a minimum level of Class 5.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, and on weekends and weekday evenings, as operational needs of kennels require.
Starting Salary: $14.00/hr (full-time) plus benefits.
Applications are being accepted until Monday, March 6th at 9am.