Director of Development | Applications Closed
Posted: June 17, 2022
PUPPIES AS A JOB PERK? Check!
While puppies come with the territory at PADS, it gets even better. We change lives.
PADS’ Development Team is about connection: building relationships that have the power to transform both lives and communities.
These connections are woven between PADS donors, mission, life-changing dogs, and incredible clients. Their work ensures each tiny puppy can grow from wee superhero to blue-vested certified assistance dog and that each team receives career long support. These dogs get up each day to make this world a little easier for those that need a helping paw.
You have a:
- Deep understanding and demonstrated success of integrated communications and fundraising achievement and portfolio management
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the proven ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with a wide range of individuals, including the ability to recruit, motivate, and lead a team of staff
- Ability to think and act independently as well as collaborate with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to make decisions and recommendations on fundraising priority development, strategy development is critical
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, with demonstrated success in proposal development and in conducting face to face meetings for major solicitations
- Demonstrated experience in the full spectrum of development including fundraising policies, solicitations, stewardship, donor recognition, administration, and management
- Appreciates the challenge of a busy environment and working under pressure.
- Strong time management, project management, financial planning, and budgetary skills
- Required to adopt and apply the Association of Fundraising Professional (AFP) code of ethics in daily practices
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Development is a brand new position at PADS and has the unique opportunity to shape the future success and growth of the organization. It is a full-time (37.5 hr/week) permanent position reporting to the CEO and is based out of Burnaby, BC with flexibility work from home/in office arrangements. The Development Director will provide strategic direction, leadership, and daily management of PADS development program in the following ways:
- Work with PADS Board and CEO to activate the existing fundraising plan (2022-2025) and Strategic Plan (2022-2025) to establish fundraising forecasts and develop calendars and action plans.
- Assist fellow Directors and Management Team in collaboratively establishing fundraising priorities and performance metrics that are: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely to track and align with achievement of organizational objectives, resulting in an expanded donor base and ability to reach targeted goals and objectives.
- Provides leadership in developing program goals and objectives and apportioning targeted $2.5M budget against those defined goals, objectives, and programs.
- Establish an integrated development program with emphasis on major gifts (donors of $5,000+) aligned with fundraising best practices and PADS culture
- Producing major donor and special category solicitations/support materials with the intent to retain or upgrade gifts
- Lead fundraising readiness in advance of a transformational capital campaign.
- Build relationships with and manage a portfolio of donors and prospects, including the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gift prospects and donors, including current and potential Board members and other PADS volunteers.
- Initiate and implement fundraising strategies to identify, diversify, cultivate, and solicit new and existing individual, foundation, corporate and government funders.
- Develop and implement multi-channel strategies using the existing fundraising, marketing, and strategic plan to increase awareness and impact of PADS and clarify giving opportunities.
- Develop, oversee, and manage all fundraising activities including annual giving, direct mail appeals, digital appeals utilizing Communication and Marketing staff and/or contracted graphic design support
- Oversee fundraising/cultivation events, establishing and managing corporate sponsorship and planned giving programs and overseeing grant submissions.
- Provide guidance and support to the CEO, Board and Fundraising Committee in all fundraising initiatives.
- Oversee development of grant proposals and reports supporting the PADS Grant Writer in fostering ongoing cultivation of foundations, businesses/corporations, government agencies and other organizations.
- Supervise part-time events co-ordinator and lead strategy to leverage all events to raise both funds and awareness of our impact.
- Work with Board, CEO, Directors, Managers, and program staff to identify fundraising needs, including digital and social media; design and implement a strategic plan to address these needs.
- Generate a budget for all development activities, maintain accurate accounting of all departmental revenue sources and expenditures, prepare and present reports on a regular basis to the CEO (for review and reporting to the finance committee).
- Work collaboratively with CEO to develop budgetary requirements to ensure strategic plan priorities can be met.
- Supervise and utilize donor management software (SalesForce) according to fundraising best practices; establish standard operating procedures and ensure staff adherence to same.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of assigned Development personnel engaged in maintaining electronic and paper records of contributors and grants. Maintains security and quality controls. Generates queries, reports, exports, and any other collection data as needed in coordination with CEO and Finance Team.
- Accurate, detailed and regular reporting to finance team (which includes CEO, accounting (external), auditors (external) and board finance & audit committee) on restricted and unrestricted income and their sources. Provides quality assurance spot checks to ensure that funds raised are accurately documented and linked to appropriate budget activities.
- Be a visible and enthusiastic advocate for PADS in the community and support the organization by attending events, making presentations, and networking with targeted audiences to inform them about PADS and opportunities to support our work.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Communications, Public Relations, or a related field
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation attained or in progress
- Extensive experience in major gift ($20,000+) level fundraising in a complex organization
- Capital Campaign experience is an asset
- A minimum of 5-7 years progressively responsible senior-level leadership experience, with the ability to motivate a team and drive results. A combination of experience in private, public, and non-profit organizations is considered an asset
Directly supervises the Development Team, which currently includes a grant writer, donor care coordinator, two regional development coordinators and a planned hire of an event coordinator (currently staffed at half time by the volunteer coordinator due to covid impacts).
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with established PADS policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Compensation and benefits package is negotiable/commensurate with experience.
We’re an organization driven by passionate people – that change lives every single day. We expect excellence of ourselves and our team, but we have fun too.
Pacific Assistance Dogs Society (PADS) breeds, raises and trains fully certified assistance dogs. Our service (mobility & PTSD) and hearing dogs provide life-changing independence to those with disabilities other than blindness. Our accredited facility dogs work with community professionals, such as teachers, RCMP and psychologists to help support wellness in our community.
We’re proud of the fact that we were the first fully accredited member of Assistance Dogs International in Canada.
BE YOU. WITH US.
We serve communities that are greater and stronger because of their diversity. What makes YOU different is worth both celebrating and cultivating.
PADS is committed to equality across race, gender, age, religion, identity, ability, and experience. We invite you to bring your whole self to our team, helping us to change lives, one dog —and person—at a time.
DOES THIS ALL SOUND LIKE A GOOD FIT?
Submit your CV and cover letter below before July 15th.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are asked to make their requirements known in advance.
We thank all applicants for their interest and will contact only those applicants selected for further considerations. Please note that submissions will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, and therefore early submission is encouraged. The position is available immediately.
Applications are now closed. Thank you for your interest.