AXEL is a lovely, sweet and sensitive guy. He has shown off his amazing obedience, and the amount of time and effort that his raisers have put into him while he was in advanced training – he loves working people he knows well. Axel has a few challenges that we are looking into; he is often uncomfortable with things such as unconsented reaching for him, emotional outbursts, putting his cape over his head, and getting food into his tummy without consent from his trainer. We are continuing to investigate these challenges in the New Year and hope to soon have a clearer idea of what Axel wants to do when he grows up!
- Skills being learned: Default ‘leave it’, nose targeting, movement skills
- Recent field trips: South Centre mall, Deerfoot Meadows, Petland
- Possible behavior challenges: Uncomfortable with items being placed over his head, counter surfing, sensitive to emotional outbursts and unexpected reaching for his head
- Advanced training location: Calgary
- Potential career path: Assistance Dog
Thank you again for all your support of Advanced Dog Axel!
Submitted by: Advanced Trainer Miranda Turenne