GRAHAM has settled in very well. His intermittent barking has also settled although it is something he enjoys doing and likes the reinforcement it can get him. He enjoys his field trips and is learning to retrieve his leash and polish up all obedience cues. It is important that the dogs learn to self-regulate with all exciting things going on around them. So, to work on this, Graham spends time learning to stay on his spot – it is essentially working on duration downs under high distractions. It can be frustrating for the dogs at first as they have come into advanced training and are no longer number one. They must watch their buddies get the training and treats. Talk about learning good arousal control! Lots of drooling happens!
- Skills being learned: Leash retrieve, tug, rear-end awareness, go through a doorway, or narrow area and back up
- Recent field trips: Parks, lake, mall, grocery stores, hardware store, Costco
- Possible behavior challenges: Attention getting vocalizing, dog distraction
- Advanced training location: Lower Mainland – Satellite
- Potential career path: Assistance Dog
Thank you again for all your support of Advanced Dog Graham!
Submitted by: Advanced Trainer Lisa Davis