POSITION FILLED: ASSISTANT PUPPY TRAINER
PADS is on the lookout for an additional on the ground Trainer’s Assistant to join our super star training team to help run classes, one-on-one training and assessments and assist with volunteer on-boarding and support. This is a full-time position including two evenings of work per week and occasional weekend work.
Our Puppy-Raising Program focuses on:
- Teaching puppy-raising volunteers to train their puppies
- Working on skills in the areas of Skills, Manners and Socialization
- Assessing puppy progress; and
- Implementing behaviour interventions to deal with behaviour struggles.
Curious about what the difference is between working in the Puppy Raising and Advanced Training program is? Advanced Trainers focus more on teaching a slate of specialized skills, hands on work with a string of dogs and client instruction and follow up. If your interest lies more in Advanced Training, please keep your eyes peeled for an upcoming Instructor’s Assistant job posting.
If you’re interested in what the Puppy-Raising Program has to offer, read on!
- A keen, enthusiastic learner?
- Passionate about dog training, behaviour and wellness?
- Keen about teaching and supporting people to get the best out of their relationship with their puppies-in-training?
- Interested in positive reinforcement and games-based training?
- Fascinated with behaviour development and modification and watching puppies acquire skills?
- Ready to join an amazing team?
- Have a can-do attitude?
- Look for solutions when confronted by problems?
- Enjoy working at a fast pace?
- Want to enrich the lives of people and dogs?
Worried you aren’t experienced enough? Don’t be! PADS is committed to helping the successful applicant learn and grow through an apprenticeship program to become a Puppy Raising Instructor. The successful candidate will learn at the side of our dynamic team of trainers as they develop their skills and progress towards their Apprentice Level 1.
This position is located at the main PADS campus in Burnaby, so applicants will need to live within commuting distance of the campus.
The Assistant Puppy Trainer position is a new entry-level position in the Puppy-Raising Program (PRP) with planned advancement through to Puppy Raising Instructor (minimum 4 year process).
The Assistant Puppy Trainer is part of an experienced, progressive team committed to helping and supporting one another and to achieving positive outcomes for our PADS dogs and volunteers.
The Pacific Assistance Dogs Society (PADS) is changing lives, one dog at a time. We are dedicated to breeding, raising, training and placing assistance dogs for persons with a physical disability or who are deaf or hard-of-hearing, and to supporting these client and dog teams for the working life of the assistance dogs. PADS is based in the Metro Vancouver region of British Columbia, Canada, with additional staffed programs in Nanaimo and Calgary, Alberta. Today we manage a program of 80 to 100 puppies in training and over 75 working dog/client teams across Western Canada. Our team of employees, Board members, and volunteers is passionate about giving people a new leash on life with assistance dogs that give clients greater independence and a better quality of life. In our work, we aim to uphold standards of Assistance Dogs International (ADI).
PADS has been changing lives since 1987 and we have recently moved forward with a strategic plan, breeding program initiative, and renewed vision and goals through our board and management team – while supported by a core of over 400 dedicated volunteers.
- BC Drivers License
- Use of own vehicle
- Access to a personal computer
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook); ability to learn new software.
- Demonstrated calm under pressure and ability to support volunteers during a stressful time
- Dog training experience an asset
- Access to dogs for regular training (PADS will provide puppy-in-training if appropriate)
- Successful applicant must be organized, professional, calm under pressure, a good communicator (verbal and email), a lifelong learner, and resilient in the face of stress and change.
- Ability to lift and carry 40 lbs over distances of 40 feet, and 80 lbs over 10 feet.
Under regular working conditions, the employee will be working within shared workspaces on the PADS campus in Burnaby, BC, as well as at off-site training venues and in public locations. During COVID, much of the work will be done remotely. The successful applicant must be physically located in BC and able to work at the main PADS campus.
HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position and includes some weekend, and regular evening work (usually 2 evenings per week).
The Assistant Puppy Trainer is an integral part of the PADS Puppy-Raising Program, providing a point of support and information for puppy-raisers who have questions regarding their puppy-in-training or are experiencing training challenges with their PADS puppies, as well as assisting volunteers during the onboarding process. They are a source of comfort and calm in what can sometimes be stressful situations.
The main responsibilities of the position are:
This position provides support to the PRP as the employee proceeds through the Assistant Puppy Trainer curriculum to attain the skills and knowledge to move on to the Puppy-Raising Apprentice Level 1 position. Completion of the requirements for advancement is estimated to take between 6-12 months. The program includes fundamental training in PADS’ mission, how the organization’s structure supports the mission, support of volunteers in the PRP, and canine handling, training and behaviour assessment.
This progression is contingent upon the employee regularly working with dogs and showing the progression of their skills. This can be with their own dog(s), or through raising a PADS puppy or puppy-sitting. The development of skills as a dog trainer requires hours spent working dogs.
- Assisting in monitoring the PADS training questions email
- Attending puppy classes and appropriate one-on-one training sessions as an observer; assisting with set up, tear down and demonstrations or acting as a distraction as needed
- Developing skills as a dog trainer and class instructor
- Assisting with assessments
- Reviewing and saving puppy reports and training information to puppies’ digital files and database record
As the employee progresses through the apprenticeship, supporting a cohort of puppy-raisers, teaching puppy classes, conducting one-on-ones and assessments, and providing training plans and follow up for behaviour struggles will be added to the employee’s duties.
Volunteer On-Boarding Support
The position is responsible for assisting in the volunteer on-boarding process for new puppy-raisers, puppy-sitters and breeder-caretakers.
- Entering volunteer information into confidential portions of databases that volunteers on the on-boarding team do not have access to.
- Connecting newly on-boarded volunteers into a cohort.
- Facilitating the completion of forms related to puppy matching, and liaising with PRP members regarding puppy placements. Connect with volunteers to advise them when puppies will be available and confirm their readiness to raise, set up puppy pick up times, coordinate with Breeding Program regarding puppies coming in, and hand puppies out to volunteers on “Out To Raiser” days.
- Participating in Community Coaches meetings with volunteer coaches.
Puppy Transport Support
Assisting staff responsible for coordinating puppy transports to/from other organizations.
- Coordinating short-term puppy-sitters
- Coordinating raisers of new incoming puppies getting the supplies they need and meeting for puppy pick up.
- Backup travel coordination for vacations or absences.
- Processing canine transfer paperwork for dogs donated to other schools.
- Maintaining puppy cape inventory
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A FIT FOR YOU?
If you think you are a good fit for our organization and are interested, apply by filling out the form below and uploading a resume and cover letter! We thank all applicants who apply; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
This position pays $19.35/Hr and a benefits are offered after the probationary period.
Application Deadline: Monday, August 9th, 2021 – 12PM