Join a community of over 200 dedicated individuals and families that help shape the success of our assistance dog candidates. Puppy-raising is a minimum 18 month commitment and being a puppy-raiser means having a furry companion by your side at work, school, the grocery store and wherever else you may go in a day. This volunteer job is a big commitment, but it is an essential part of socializing our dogs for the working life they will later have with their partner. Puppies enter raising at 8 weeks old, and live with our volunteer puppy-raisers until they are approximately 18 months old.
Not sure about committing full time? Talk to us about being a part-time raiser:
- Co-raising: You can partner with a friend or colleague, or we can match you with another member of our volunteer team that is looking for someone to share the responsibility of one puppy.
- Part-Time Raiser: These raisers step in when pup’s primary raisers are away to help give them different life experiences, training and socialization
This is ideal for people whose work environment (nurses, chefs, surgeons, etc.) poses challenges for puppy-raising, or for single individuals who want to raise a puppy, but don’t have the support of a partner or family member to spell them off periodically (puppies can be very busy!).
- A desire to give back and have fun doing it!
- We ask raisers to join our community for a two year commitment – although we’d love for you to join us for longer!
- Attendance at regular puppy-classes (weekly for full-time raisers and monthly for part-time raisers) & one monthly outreach event
- Dog Lover? You can raise a PADS puppy and have up to 3 pet dogs (As long as your housing/municipality allows)
- Only 1 dog under a year in the home
- Exposure to toddlers and children is wonderful for puppy, but our insurance precludes PADS puppies being raised in a home or workplace that has a daycare or preschool centre.
- You must have a conversational level of English.
- Primary applicant must be at 18 years of age or older
Burnaby: Accepting Applications
Okanagan: Accepting Applications
Calgary: Accepting Applications