Last Updated: March 31, 2020 – 8PM
The management and leadership of Pacific Assistance Dogs is wanting to share that we are treating COVID-19 pandemic with seriousness, without unduly restricting the important work PADS is doing.
As an essential service, Pacific Assistance Dogs is operating on a limited and adapted basis, with many staff off work, working in isolation or from home.
Please note, the following status is subject to change as the situation unfolds (in consultation with Government recommendations):
ABOUT OUR PEOPLE
PADS is taking the following precautions in order to minimize the spread of illness, and to protect the health and well-being of our staff, volunteers, clients and supporters:
- increasing the frequency of cleaning of multi-contact surfaces within our facilities;
- giving staff the option to take time off, work remotely or self-isolate if they have been exposed or are showing symptoms;
- Implementing protocols within training programs that leashes and collars are only used by one handler to minimize vector transmission.
ABOUT OUR DOGS
Infectious disease experts and multiple international and domestic human and animal health organizations agree there is no evidence at this point to indicate that pets become ill with COVID-19, nor are they vectors of transmission.
In order to support the Government request that the general population stays home and to practice social distancing public access has been suspended for our dogs in training, except in cases where their handlers must continue to report for work.
ABOUT OUR PROGRAMS
- New Client Team Trainings: Proceeding as scheduled with essential staff & volunteers only.
- Client Care: In person annual follow-ups are cancelled until further notice, PADS staff will continue to actively support client teams remotely (phone, email, teleconference) or in person in the case of emergency.
- All Volunteer Programs are suspended until further notice (this includes puppy-classes, new volunteer onboarding and puppy-raiser walk & talks, one-on-ones, etc). Full information for volunteers on supports and changes in operations can be located at hydrant.pads.ca/covid19
- PADS need for volunteer puppy-raisers and breeder caretakers continues to be great. We will continue to accept volunteer applications, and will be reaching out in the coming weeks to invite new volunteers into an online training and orientation course.
- Upcoming Events: All currently scheduled events are cancelled (Love of Dog Gala, BC Distilled), future events (such as our summer Open Houses, etc) will be determined at a later date.
- Community Engagement Events: All currently booked events have been postponed, and PADS will not be accepting requests for future bookings until further notice.
PADS greatly appreciates the support of our community during this challenging time, this page will be updated on an ongoing basis. Please feel free to check back for updates as they unfold.
Any questions regarding PADS COVID-19 response should be directed to communications [at] pads [dot] ca
HOW YOU CAN HELP
We have been overwhelmed by those asking how they can help PADS in this time.
Our dogs are well cared for and loved, we have few litters on the ground, but the largest challenge PADS is facing is financial. We’ve had to cancel countless community events each week, as well as our annual Gala.
These events change lives.
We ask that if you are in a position to give—maybe even saving some money on gas and morning coffees as you work from home—we’d be honoured if you chose to share with PADS. Your gift will help ensure we continue to place life-changing dogs.