Last Updated: March 28, 2022
It’s with a sense of excitement, relief and trepidation that we take what may be one of our last pivots in regards to Covid-19. In light of both the gov’t of BC and AB changes to mandates and requirements, here is the update to our program operations.
Be kind. Be calm. Be safe.
Before we talk about changes to PADS protocols, let us talk about the spirit in which we move forward. Be kind to those around you, they are all fighting their own battles, and we can’t know what those are by outward actions or appearances. As an organization that has a substantial population of immunocompromised and at-risk individuals (and the close contact that is often needed when training dogs), we are proceeding with caution and empathy to ensure the comfort and well-being of all.
Practice Healthy Choices
- Stay home: If you’re not feeling well.
- Best Practices: Continue to use best practices (hand washing, hand sanitizer, wiping down high touch areas, etc)
- Masks: Are no longer required, but of course may be worn by anyone who wishes.
Above all, as we move away from policy governing our actions, we ask instead that each of you move forward with the kindness and compassion our community is known for. We will continue to support you and provide learning options, whatever your choices are.
PADS will be doing our part:
- increasing cleaning frequency as well as air filtration in high traffic areas to do our best to protect those within them
- thanks to a donation from the Red Cross, PADS staff (and regular on site volunteers on a voluntary basis) will be routinely tested on-site
Proof of Vaccination (BC Only)
We will continue to require proof of vaccination for indoor group classes until the government drops vaccination requirements (currently anticipated for early April).
- The PADS Burnaby Campus:
- Monday, April 4: We will resume normal operating hours and on site staff activities fully. Moving forward many of our staff will have a hybrid of work from home and in office days given the size of our team and our limited space (this will be determined by team and communicated at a department level).
- Monday, April 19: Office volunteering resumes! If you are a former campus volunteer that would like to resume your in person role, we are excited to welcome you back. Please email the volunteer team directly to let us know if and when you are comfortable to resume on campus volunteer activities.
- Advanced Kennels & Campus Maintenance: These have already resumed, however if you’re interested in becoming involved now that restrictions have eased please reach out to the volunteer team.
- Client Follow Ups: These will continue to be scheduled in person or virtually depending on the comfort level of the client.
- Client Applications: PADS is actively inviting and reviewing applications for all program areas. If you are interested in applying for a PADS dog, please register on our notification list (if you have not already done so) at www.pads.ca/apply.
- Events: PADS is resuming in person events, however, we have 2 years’ worth of puppies that are not used to participating in community events as they have in the past. For this reason, we’re taking things slow and will be doing a gradual return to our pre-covid activities. Any questions regarding events can be sent to through our contact page.
- In Person Puppy-Classes: Please watch the volunteer news for updates on puppy programming, as we work through space and logistical challenges. We are currently seeking training space for our substantial puppy program in the Burnaby Area, until this has been secured, we will be prioritizing walk and talks, assessments and one-on-ones for in person follow ups.
We sincerely thank you for your cooperation and understanding while we navigate this transition period. We are very grateful to be part of a compassionate community and we will continue to look out for one another.