APPLICATIONS CLOSED: KENNEL COORDINATOR
The Pacific Assistance Dogs Society (PADS) is changing lives, one dog at a time. We are dedicated to breeding, raising, training and placing assistance dogs for persons with a physical disability or who are deaf or hard-of-hearing, and to supporting these client and dog teams for the working life of the assistance dogs. PADS is based in the Metro Vancouver region of British Columbia, Canada. Our team of employees, Board members, and volunteers is passionate about giving persons a “new leash on life” with assistance dogs who will help to give clients greater independence and a better quality of life.
In our work, we aim to uphold the standards of Assistance Dogs International (ADI): to share its “common goals and interests which are best achieved by uniformly complying with local, provincial and federal laws as well as ethical, moral and legal policies, practices and procedures.”
The Kennel Coordinator cares for puppies and dogs in training and the areas they use at PADS’ facilities, as well as supervises volunteers who support PADS kennel activities. This role reports to the Training Program Manager.
- High school graduation is required. Also essential are familiarity and skills with canine behaviour, care and safety.
- Ability to learn and practice assistance dog training techniques.
- Articulate and receptive in communicating, both verbally and in writing.
- Good organizational skills.
- Trustworthy, able to maintain appropriate confidentiality, and having sound judgment.
- Solid record of working positively and productively with others and independently.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. of food products for up to 200 feet and dogs weighing 70 lbs. for up to 10 feet.
- Basic skills in using PCs; the Internet; and MS Word, Excel, and Outlook. Ability to learn new software.
- Valid BC Driver’s License, at a minimum level of Class 5.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, and on weekends and weekday evenings, as operational needs of kennels require.
Under regular working conditions, the employee will be working within shared workspaces on the PADS campus in Burnaby, BC, as well as at off-site training venues and in public locations. During COVID, much of the work will be done remotely. The successful applicant must be physically located in BC and able to work at the main PADS campus.
HOURS OF WORK
This is an on-site position at the PADS campus in Burnaby. The PADS Kennel Coordinator shares work space and equipment with other employeess. There is daily interaction, and physical contact, with dogs that are in advanced training and puppies visiting in the PADS puppy kennel, as well as exposure to chemicals and other cleaning solutions needed to maintain the PADS kennel.
The Kennel Coordinator handles these responsibilities for the Society:
Cleaning and maintenance of canine living and training spaces, and supplies in safe and sanitary condition, including:
- The advanced kennels, training spaces, and exercise yards. (daily)
- The puppy / breeding kennel and yards as assigned (after breeding, puppy assessments, vaccine clinics)
- The administrative building yard (weekly or as assigned)
- Cleaning the portable crates and safely storing within the crate shed (weekly)
- Clean dog dishes, wash and fold laundry in advanced kennel building (daily/as needed)
Coordinating kennel and Advanced sitting volunteers, including:
- Reviewing applications for Advanced Training Volunteers and conducting training in their assigned roles
- Scheduling of kennel volunteers (daytime and evening shifts) and weekend/relief sitters
- Supervising on-site volunteers
Training and husbandry of dogs in advanced training, including:
- Providing routine care and grooming of advanced dogs, including periodic checks for illness, injury or abnormalities, and nail trimmings, ear cleanings and other basic treatments. Reporting concerns to the PADS Medical Team
- Scheduling and transporting dogs for veterinary appointments
- Responsibility for the welfare of dogs in advanced training, including behavioural enrichment for dogs in the kennel
- Obedience training of dogs in advanced training
- Assisting the trainers with skills training and behaviour plan implementation
Coordinating on-site dog assessments, including:
- Scheduling with volunteers to have puppies come in for assessments as well as volunteers to help run the assessment
- Set up of the assessment space and maintenance of the assessment materials
- Handling puppies/dogs for assessment
- Scoring of assessments using the Behavior Checklist (BCL)
- Actively participating in the maintenance of up-to-date, accurate and complete records regarding dogs in Advanced Training
- Complying with PADS’ procedures in order to meet ADI standards and ethics for care of assistance dogs
- Maintaining current knowledge of legal requirements regarding canines, as well as of assistance dog programs
- If applicable, in public encounters or with volunteers on site, familiarizing the public about Assistance Dogs and the legal rights of people with disabilities who are partnered with them; and demonstrating appropriate behaviour in working with dogs and volunteers (e.g., good personal and canine hygiene, courtesy and consideration to others and others’ property, proper training techniques in handling dogs); and
- Performing other related responsibilities.
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A FIT FOR YOU?
If you think you are a good fit for our organization and are interested, apply by filling out the form below and uploading a resume and cover letter! We thank all applicants who apply; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.